Volunteer Waiver and Agreement
This volunteer waiver and agreement (the “Volunteer Agreement” or “Agreement”) is by and between Homes with Hope, Inc., its successors and / or assigns (“Homes with Hope” or “HwH”) and the volunteer (“Volunteer”). Homes with Hope program participants, clients, and / or tenants are collectively herein referred to as “Clients”.
1. Voluntary Participation. I acknowledge that I have voluntarily applied to assist Homes with Hope, Inc. in one or more projects. I understand that as a volunteer, I will not be paid for my services; that I will not be covered by any medical insurance or other benefits company provided by Homes with Hope; and that I will not be eligible for any Workers’ Compensation benefits. I further agree that my participation in any project may be terminated at any time either by Homes with Hope or me.
2. Assumption of Risk. I am aware that in participating in the project(s), I may be exposed to personal injury or damage to my property as a result of my activities, the activities of other volunteers, or the conditions under which volunteer services are performed. With knowledge of these dangers, I agree to accept any and all risks of personal injury or death.
3. Release from Liability. In consideration for the opportunity afforded me to participate in the project(s), I hereby agree that I, my assignees, heirs, guardians, and legal representatives will not make a claim against Homes with Hope, the businesses, residents, and community services agencies that have organized the project (s) for injury, damage, or death resulting from the negligent acts or omissions of any person or entity, however caused arising from or related to my participation in the project(s). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, I hereby waive and release any rights, actions or causes of action resulting from personal injury or death, to me, or loss or damage to my property, sustained in connection with my participation in the project(s), however, that the loss or damage was not caused by an act or omission that was reckless, wanton, intentional, or grossly negligent.
4. Confidentiality Agreement. I understand and agree to the following policies regarding confidentiality of information concerning Homes with Hope and its Clients:
Confidential information about Homes with Hope that I obtain while I am a volunteer at Homes with Hope, including its programs, procedures, financial condition or plans may not be disclosed to persons outside of the organization, except if such disclosure is authorized by a Homes with Hope staff member in furtherance of the legitimate business purposes of Homes with Hope.
Homes with Hope is subject to a number of state and federal laws designed to protect the privacy of its Clients. The names and other personal identifying information of our Clients, any information concerning their personal finances, circumstances or events in their lives, may not be disclosed to any third party without prior approval by Homes with Hope’s senior management unless required by law or to prevent imminent bodily harm.
5. Non-Discrimination. Homes with Hope is committed to equal opportunity and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, marital / civil union status, veteran status, disability, age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender expression, height, weight, military obligation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Volunteers are reminded that this nondiscrimination policy extends to the use of all Homes with Hope facilities and participation in all Homes with Hope sponsored activities and agree to conduct themselves accordingly in their interactions with staff, Clients, and other volunteers.
6. Communications. I agree not to communicate, verbally or in writing, with third parties on behalf of Homes with Hope without the prior approval of Homes with Hope’s senior management. I understand that when, as a private citizen, I choose to advocate for systematic, policy, and legislative change, I must not purport to be representing Homes with Hope.
7. Publicity Release. I hereby give my permission to Homes with Hope and any of its subsidiaries, to use my likeness, alone or with others, by means of photograph, video or other medium chosen by Homes with Hope for use in promotional materials or publicity. I understand my likeness may appear in internal publications or external publicity, including, without limitation, promotional audio / visual presentations, print and digital media, and use on Homes with Hope’s website, newsletters or annual report. I agree that I shall have no right of approval or claim to compensation, including any claims for libel, defamation or invasion of privacy, arising out of any use described herein. I agree that Homes with Hope shall own all images taken by it or its representatives. I have given this release without prior payment or promise of payment or compensation and without expectation by me of payment or benefit in return.
8. Disclosure of Volunteer Files. I understand that information about my services as a volunteer for Homes with Hope, will be maintained and kept on file at Homes with Hope. I understand that government-related funding sources may ask to review the volunteer files of any organization in receipt of those funds and hereby give my permission for the information contained in my volunteer file at Homes with Hope to be presented for review by these funding sources during regular scheduled audits.
9. Boundaries. The policies below establish appropriate boundaries for volunteers and Homes with Hope Clients. If at any time you encounter a situation that makes you uncomfortable or you are unsure of how to proceed, consult with the program supervisor or the Chief Operating Officer immediately.
a) All volunteers shall conduct themselves in a manner that assures the safety and security of all individuals and property and shall treat others with dignity and respect at all times. Volunteers shall respect the rights of all program Clients and not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national original, sexual preference, age, disability, political affiliation, previous criminal record, economic / marital status or for any other reason prohibited by Federal, State or local law.
b) Volunteers are expressly forbidden to date Clients being served in any of Homes with Hope’s programs. Any volunteer found to be engaged in a personal relationship with a Client will be terminated.
c) Volunteers will not invite or entertain Clients at their homes unless part of a pre-approved group activity. Volunteers will not initiate or accept contact with Clients for the sole purpose of socialization. Volunteers will not visit Clients at their homes.
d) Volunteers will not give Clients their personal address or home telephone number. Anyone calling a Client from a home phone should remember to block caller identification.
e) Children should be treated with great care. Do not pick up or hold children without asking parental permission. Do not take a child into a private place without a parent or another volunteer being present. Please do not give children gifts, snacks, or food without first consulting with a program director and / or asking parental permission.
f) Homes with Hope’s role is to assist the Clients in our programs in their ability to provide adequately for themselves and their families. It is recognized that the desire to help someone might take the form of wanting to help with finances or other basic needs. However, this can be construed as enabling or as exhibiting favoritism or bias toward a particular Client or group of Clients. Accordingly, volunteers agree NOT to:
i. Loan, borrow, give, or receive money to / from Clients.
ii. Give Clients gifts. Gifts on special occasions may come from the agency and never an individual.
iii. Employ any Clients currently residing or receiving services through any of Homes with Hope’s programs. This includes but is not limited to: domestic work, yard maintenance, painting, personal services, catering, childcare, etc.
iv. Provide transportation to Clients unless it is part of a planned program or activity.
v. Purchase products or services from Homes with Hope Clients unless they have approval from a supervisor or program director.
10. Knowing and Voluntary Execution. I have carefully read this agreement and fully understand its contents. I am aware that this is release of liability and a contract between Homes with Hope and me, and I sign it of my own free will. I certify that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age or have delivered the consent of my parents or guardian to Homes with Hope, as indicated by my signature or that of my parent or guardian.