Photo by Dave Matlow
Originally published in WestportNow on May 1, 2017
Bob Weingarten (c), plaque historian of the Westport Historical Society, today presented a historical plaque to Project Return, 124 Compo Road North. Accepting on behalf of Project Return, now part of Westport’s Homes With Hope (HWH) were Jeff Weiser (l), president of HWH, and Tessa Gilmore-Barnes (r) , program director at Project Return. Project Return, which aided teenage girls in crisis for three decades, now focuses on a slightly older population, 18- to 24-year-olds. The plaque notes the house was built in 1824 on property that now is the Westport Country Playhouse. It was moved to its present location in 1864 and has been owned by the town since 1901, once serving as its official almshouse. On hand for the presentation were local officials and those associated with its history.